Whether you’re a professional contractor, an avid outdoorsman, or simply a homeowner searching for the best flashlight for all your needs, there’s no need to feel overwhelmed. With the right features and a few tips, you can quickly determine which handheld flashlight is best for you. Whether you need a small, lightweight design for a quick search and rescue mission, or a robust, heavy-duty model to tackle any job, there’s a handheld flashlight to meet your needs. Read on to discover the features and tips you need to choose the best handheld flashlight for your needs.
Types of Handheld Flashlights
There are a variety of handheld flashlights to meet every need and occasion. From solo homeowners to professional contractors, there’s a flashlight for every application. Here are some of the most common handheld flashlight types.
- Handheld Flashlight – The handheld flashlight is the most popular choice, and it’s no wonder why. These flashlights are easy to carry and come in a variety of sizes and power options. From small, pocket-sized models to more robust models with a shoulder strap, there’s a handheld flashlight for every need.
- Tactical Flashlight – For those who need a little more oomph, a tactical flashlight may be the right choice. These flashlights are built to withstand a bit of abuse, but they’re also incredibly powerful.
- Headlamp Flashlight – If you need both hands free, a headlamp flashlight is the perfect choice.
- Spotlight – You’ll need a spotlight if you want to illuminate a large area. Ideal for hunting, landscaping, and fishing, spotlights are long and narrow, and they typically use fluorescent bulbs.
- Utility Light – If you need a handheld light for a specific job, such as working under the hood or doing repairs in a dark crawlspace, a utility light is your best bet. These small and lightweight flashlights are also ideal for children, who may find a handheld flashlight too heavy or large.
Features to Consider when Choosing a Flashlight
If you want to choose the best handheld flashlight, you first need to understand what different features mean and do. Here are some of the most common features you’ll find on handheld flashlights.
- Batteries – When choosing a flashlight, it’s important to know what type of batteries it takes. While some models run on standard AA or AAA batteries, others require more specialized batteries, such as lithium ion batteries, which may need to be replaced less often.
- Bulb Type – The bulb type you choose will determine how bright your flashlight is and how long it lasts. While incandescent bulbs are standard, newer LED and fluorescent bulbs are increasingly common in handheld flashlights. Fluorescent bulbs last longer but aren’t as bright as LEDs.
- Burn Time – Burn time refers to how long your flashlight lasts with a full charge. A longer burn time means the flashlight is larger and heavier, but you won’t need to charge or replace it as often.
- Water Resistance – Knowing how water-resistant a flashlight is can help you determine if it’s the best choice for your needs. A waterproof flashlight is completely waterproof and can be submerged in water. An IPX4 rating means a flashlight is water resistant.
- Materials – Handheld flashlights are made with a variety of materials, including plastic, aluminum, and titanium. Each material has advantages and disadvantages, so choose wisely.
Tips to Choose the Best Handheld Flashlight
Once you’ve determined which features are most important to you, it’s time to shop for a new handheld flashlight. Here are some tips to choose the best handheld flashlight for your needs.
- Price – While handheld flashlights come in a wide range of prices, don’t let the price tag be the deciding factor. While higher-end models may last you years, a cheap and poorly made handheld flashlight may not last you through your first job.
- Read Reviews – Before making a purchase, read reviews from other customers who have used the model you’re considering. You can also ask questions in online forums, such as Reddit and other social media sites.
- Don’t Forget about Accessories – Many handheld flashlights come with a wide range of accessories, such as different head attachments, chargers, and carrying cases. If you’re serious about using your flashlight often and in a variety of ways, don’t skimp on accessories. Accessories, such as extra batteries and chargers, can make all the difference when you’re in a bind.
Once you’ve selected your new handheld flashlight, make sure you use it properly to get the most out of it. Before you use your new flashlight, make sure to charge it fully and test it out. Not only will a new flashlight make your home brighter, but it can also make your life easier. A handheld flashlight can be used for everything from hunting to a quick repair at work. From brightness to ease of use, there’s a handheld flashlight to suit every need. With the right features and a few tips, you can quickly determine which handheld flashlight is best for your needs.